Friday, August 31, 2012

My Month in Movies...August 2012

Total Movies Watched: 14

Breakdown
'40s: 3          + 5 movies from 1001 Movies to See Before You Die
'50s: 2          + 4 movies based on a true story
'60s: 1          + 4 Noirs
'70s: 1          + 3 B-movies
'80s: 2          + 2 Orson Welles films
'90s: 0          + 2 foreign films
'00s: 3          + 1 documentary
'10s: 2          + 1 movie that's not a movie





The Woman in the Window [1944] dir. Fritz Lang N


Che [2008] (miniseries) dir. Steven Soderbergh N


Inglorious Basterds [2008] dir. Quentin Tarintino



The Food of the Gods [1976] dir. Bert I. Gordon N


The Stuff [1985] dir. Larry Cohen N


The Hurt Locker [2008] dir. Kathryn Bigelow


C.H.U.D. [1984] dir. Douglas Cheek N


Psycho [1960] dir. Alfred Hitchcock


The Queen of Versailles [2012] dir. Lauren Greenfield


Touch of Evil [1958] dir. Orson Welles


The Stranger [1946] dir. Orson Welles N


To Catch a Thief [1955] dir. Alfred Hitchcock


The Intouchables [2011] dir. Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano
The Intouchables movie poster (2011)


The Maltese Falcon [1941] dir. John Huston



6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed The Intouchables [2011]. Is quite formulaic, and has been done before, but the friendship and comedy moments won me over. Also a star making performance by Omar Sy.
    Sometimes I just want a feel good movie, and this film put me in a good mood. The message of seeing ex-cons from the projects as potential employees and friends is very obvious, although it cannot be said often enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree. Omar Sy gave a terrific performance. Hopefully we'll see him again sometime soon.

      Delete
  2. You saw some good movies in August. Interesting that you and I both happened to see The Stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think about it? I feel like I would be somewhat hesitant to recommend it to someone. I think I sort of liked it, but I don't know...

      Delete
    2. I gave it three stars out of five, which for me means I would recommend it to someone if it sounded interesting to them. My four star reviews mean I highly recommend it unless something specific about it is something you dislike. Five stars means highest recommendation - a must see. I don't do reviews for 1 and 2 star movies, since I wouldn't recommend them. I have a lot of films that I consider just okay. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else, but if they said they were thinking about seeing it I would not try to dissuade them either. These kinds of movies fall between 2 and 3 stars for me.

      Delete
    3. Agreed. On a 5 scale I'd give it a three as well. I'm a big Welles fan in general and I feel like I've never had a bad experience with him. He's a good director and that's what saved this movie.

      Delete